Monday, October 14, 2013

On the Matter of Echolalia

I'm proud of myself. I'm posting twice in one day. Awesome.

But anyway, my second cousin's son is extremely echolalic. He's sitting outside of my room right now, playing with Mr. Potato Head. He's not even two years old. But he's really good at it, from the words filtering through my door.

He's collecting glasses.

He's saying he's a sponge.

"Yeah!"

Why do people say echolalia is so bad? I just don't get it.

Oh, wow. My mom just said, "You've got good language." He responded with, "Yeah!" He's not even two. This sounds like me, of course. But the best part--"yeah" is his echolalia at work right now. He said it not even five minutes ago after hearing my mom say it. And he responds with "yeah" in an appropriate context.

Yet if I quote something, even if it is in context, somebody will tell me to use my words.

Mine.

Mine.

The words are mine.

Do you understand? I'm not just saying something at random. I said "V" earlier under my breath. This was when I was overwhelmed because my sister brought two of my second cousins and their older brother's son. I needed away. So I said "V". My mind was working so fast, that was the first thing I came to.

V is the Roman numeral for five. Have you ever heard of Beethoven's Fifth?

P.S. Yes, The Attic is actually somewhat echolalic of me. That's why I love it. I quote it all the time. Does quoting yourself count as echolalia?

Information from all sources,
Information that I know.
Info never to be covered,
Even in dust light as snow.

1 comment:

  1. I speak in quotes a lot also, as does my sister and mom, though they have never been diagnosed with anything. I think in quotes to, a lot of the time. It's not me 'not using words' it's me taking something I've heard, storing it away for use later on, and pulling it out later to use as my own. Sometimes, quotes are the only way I know how to say something.
    And I understand the whole, over whelmed by children feeling; my nephew is four and a bundle of energy, and he adores me. He wants to do everything with me - play a puzzle, play with cars, be up in my room - but I'm going upstairs to hide from you :) yeah. It's draining to be around him, but fun. I always have to recharge after he goes though; then I'm ready for the next time he comes.

    ReplyDelete